Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today, we bid farewell to President Bush, a man I am thankful for the privilege of having as my Commander in Chief. It has been a true honor to present flags on his behalf at Arlington to the families of veterans recognizing their faithful service for our nation during WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and our current conflict. In part, I believe my decision to rejoin the military was seeded when I saw his strong compassionate response and his resolve to defend our nation on 9/11.

A little insider's info regarding the inauguration. I just watched the motorcade make its way from the White House through the capitol with the streets lined by men and women who serve in uniform, wearing their service best in what now 22 degree weather. They were there all last night, as their report times depending on the branch of service from 2am to 3am. Hats that don't keep out the cold. Gloves designed for appearance more than effect. These young men and women are cold, but they won't show it. They won't flinch or move. They render honor. They are true professionals in every form. A year from now they may be wearing a different uniform and be standing on a mountain in Afghanistan or in a town in Iraq defending the security of our nation - and they won't flinch. They are true professionals. It is honor to serve among them. I thank God for the leadership of President Bush, as a new leadership team assumes its place, I pray that God grant them wisdom to know the right course and the courage to pursue it that our nation and or world may know peace and prosperity.

God Bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.