Saturday, April 12, 2008

End of a DC week

The last few days had several crucial junction points for me. I am wrapping up the AFAF campaign for our Wing taking in the final donations and then turning them in over at the Pentagon. I am finally getting a feel for the best time to get over there so that one is not fighting crowds of folks coming in and waiting forever to get through security. I had a couple of my funerals that were very large and involved, but wonderful incredible families.

Friday afternoon there was a historic flyover of the Air Force Memorial and our area by a flight of vintage WWII aircraft. Caught a few quicks pictures, but the haze of pollution was bad that day. Here is a link to a news story about the event on CNN.

I also heard this week about the death of one of our own Airmen from the area in Iraq. My prayers go out to his family and friends. 31 year old TSgt Anthony Capra was an EOD (explosive ordinance division) airman. These airmen are tasked with disposal of ordinance including going out to defuse roadside bombs (IEDs). I didn't know TSgt Capra personally, but he was known to me as I was aware of the ceremony to award him the Bronze Star last year. You can read about him here and here.

Tomorrow, I depart for Atlanta, for training in a new program called "Safetalk". I will return and be responsible for training other airmen in this important tool that helps airmen continue to care for airmen.