Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Almost 7 years later

I expect you can remember like myself what you were doing Sept 11 2001.

Here is an interesting article in Stars and Stripes by 4 military folks and what was going on in their lives. This got my attention:

"Childress had arrived at the Pentagon for his new assignment Sept. 4, and his household goods were to arrive the next day. But because of a clerical error, there was a delay. He was told his goods could be delivered on Monday, the 10th, or Tuesday, the 11th.

'I told them Tuesday,' he said. 'It’s a decision that saved my life. Everyone around my desk was killed.'"

____________________

I myself was working in my office at Trinity Lutheran Church in Cincinnati on a Bible study for later that week when my phone rang, "Pastor, are we going to have a special service?" I didn't have a clue as to why until they said to watch the news. I turned on the news just in time to see the second tower come down. I couldn't believe what was happening at first. I remember that very morning beginning to consider coming back into military service.

We had our prayer service that night. A month later we held a commemoration memorial that we had to move out on the lawn for seating. We had a Lincoln impersonator who participated by sharing part of the Gettysburg address, a section of which I use during most of my committal services at Arlington National Cemetery.

It is such an honor to have walked the halls of the Pentagon and to stand on the ground where some of those who were killed were laid to rest. These sights are a constant reminder to me of the sacrifices made and the need for service so that ...the government of the people, for the people, and by the people shall not perish from the earth." These sights remind me of my daily commitment to winning this war in whatever small way that I can contribute to the struggle.